Set up a Neighbourhood Support Group!
The Greenhithe Community Trust, The Greenhithe Residents Ratepayers and Community Hall Association and Harcourts Cooper & Co Greenhithe have formed a partnership to encourage every resident in Greenhithe to join a Neighbourhood Support Group in their street.
What is Neighbourhood Support?
A Neighbourhood Support group provides an opportunity for neighbours to work together with each other, the Police and other community organisations to make a difference by enhancing community safety and well-being.
It is not about endless meetings or setting up committees! It’s a very informal and casual set up.
Groups function by mutual effort, trust and cooperation between neighbours - by sharing information, insights and ideas.
By joining your group, you are saying “I am interested in my neighbourhood and the safety of everyone who lives in it”.
Why are groups started?
Groups are formed to:
- Prevent the occurrence of crime in the neighbourhood
- To better deal with and survive civil defence emergencies
- To provide a means for residents to meet and develop a caring and secure environment for everyone
- To provide a common voice on dealing with local issues such as graffiti, traffic problems, parks, play areas, street lighting etc.
Many streets in Greenhithe already have neighbours who know each other well and do look out for each other. It’s then just a question of registering your group with Neighbourhood Support North Shore. In April there were only four Greenhithe Streets registered with Neighbourhood Support North Shore. There are now a further 20 groups in the process of registering – well done Greenhithe (but there are another 60 streets to go)!
Know Your Street BBQ – pick up your $50 Mad Butcher Voucher!
What better way to get to know your neighbours than to have a street BBQ! $50 Mad Butcher vouchers are available to supply your BBQ between September 2013 and March 2014. Just pop into Harcourts to register your street and pick up a voucher.
Find out more about setting up a Neighbourhood Support group in your street now.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org – it’s easy!
The following websites have more information:
- Neighbourhood Support New Zealand: www.ns.org.nz
- Neighbourhood Support North Shore: www.neighbourhood.org.nz
- Neighbours Day Aotearoa: www.neighboursday.org.nz